The travails and thrills of being a singleton in my 30s. And probably a little whine to go with the cheese.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Another Night Of Insomnia

I guess I should not have had the cup of teh tarik (tea) at midnight.

It was another night of tossing and turning in bed till sunlight poured in. I tried everything in my arsenal - erotic literature, Cocteau Twins lullaby CD (Milk & Kisses), reading dull history books, even running through my entire collection of Emily Dickinson poems. Sadly nothing worked. Instead, my mind started spouting these weird words that evolved itself into a poem / song of sorts. I guess it decided that it might as well be put to good use since it's functioning.

This is what I came up with at 5 this morning:

What is this malady
I cannot seem to shake
Searching for a remedy
But I still want the cake

What madness, what insanity
That drives me to these depths
My mind splits to infinity
And runs on different tracks

Time is shirking its duty
It just won't let me heal
Cos the wounds just keep reopening
Like scabs I have to peel

I hold on to Despair
As it were a life line
Giving Loneliness a friend
In this souless husk of mine

I revel in this lowness
My mind and body craven
Seeking crumbs of comfort
Reaching for any haven

Devoid of hope I trudge along
Not knowing what propels me on
Perhaps it's just blind faith
That takes me past another dawn

While I'm at it, I love these lines by Emily Dickinson:

Parting is all we know of heaven
And all we need of hell

No comments: