The travails and thrills of being a singleton in my 30s. And probably a little whine to go with the cheese.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Job Search is Hard

In the pursuit of said Plan B, I have discovered that my job search skills are fairly rusty.

I had flubbed an interview with a prospective employer, because I forgot all about my targetted interview skills / questions. Although I may have subconsciously flubbed it because I didn't want the job. Sounded too much like something that I would actually have to work at. Remembering that I left all the consulting work behind me, I'm planning on a fairly dossy job, one where I can leave work at 5:30pm every day.

Of course, that means that I will have to be picky... but can I really? One of my friends has said that I've been 'out of the market' and that employers could use that to bargain me down, and use that as a reason to not hire me. But I'm not sure that's a valid argument. I've technically (according to my CV) just taken a 4-6 month sabbatical and therefore, should be fine in terms of job prospects.

Spoke to another recruitment firm and they seemed positive but didn't have anything for me as yet. They had one 3 month contract position with a bank, but the job title and the job scope sounds far too administrative. If I wanted to pursue the career thing, it's not going to get me far.

I've also applied to other companies directly, but I have yet to hear from them. I doubt that they would be able to pay me well, but we'll see. I am truly unwilling to take a job with less than $5,000 monthly pay. In the end, if I have to suck it in and take it, I will take *any* job that pays at least that, and sod the job title.

The plan is to start work in Jan 2006. If that's not possible, then I would want to take 1 month off in Feb 2006 to travel around Laos & Vietnam, ending up playing the Bangkok Hat at the end of Feb, then start work in Mar 2006. Of course, I can always go before I leave for the UK / Canada. But the two interim plans are the ideal situations really.

Then I'm thinking, if the plan is just to go away, why not just sod Canada 2007 for now, take the contract job and then save up just enough to go to UK? If I go to the UK, it won't be to take on a 'career' job anyway, so why bother? I guess that's something to think about if I don't get a job by Jan 2006. I know there will be lots of attrition come next Jan / Mar next year cos lots of people I know are dying to get out of their jobs. If I sit and wait, there may be a good chance of getting something lucrative.

We'll see. Now to target all other job search agencies. That's my aim for the week!

2 comments:

S* said...

i am kinda confused - i thought the plan was canada 2007 - how did UK come into the picture? and what is Bangkok Hat? Sorry... Am I missing some part of the puzzle?

ylisa said...

Ahh. Plan Canada 2007 may not materialise as quickly due to the *ahem* workings of the Canadian Embassy. Therefore the interim plan is to move to UK first whilst waiting for them to process my application.

Bangkok Hat is a Ultimate Frisbee tournament in Bangkok. It's called a Hat, cos everyone puts their names and gets put in teams based on their abilities and play against other teams, and may be made up of people they've never played with before. Supposed to be a lot of fun. Promised people I'd be there next year!!!