The travails and thrills of being a singleton in my 30s. And probably a little whine to go with the cheese.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Plan B

It's really Plan B, C & D!

In the past 2 weeks, I have come to the conclusion that I didn't want to be in Singapore anymore. I feel cooped up, sheltered and somewhat smothered. I'm confused about who I am, what I really want, where I'm going, and what I'm supposed to do in this lifetime. And I really feel the need to get away from everything, the family, the ex, the "I'm not sure where I'm headed in my life" feeling, and go and find myself. I know, it's a cliche, but I can't think of any other way to put it.

It's great to get paid to do what I like to do, but already within this first month of doing it full time, I've discovered that I don't really like singing to unappreciative audiences. Oh you do get a few who do, and that's always nice - I do try to sing to them. It could be just 'starting out' nerves, where I'm not sure that I'm doing okay. And again, I realise that I'd love to be singing in a bar, where people actually come to hear you sing. Maybe it's the need to be 'famous' or 'appreciated' but there you go.

With all that, I came up with Plan UK 2006 / Canada 2007

Canada 2007
We have to start with Canada 2007. Initially, this started because one of my dreams is to do a ski season, but I know I didn't want to just ski and do nothing, but to really get into the life of someone who works in the ski resorts. Tried looking into working holiday type programmes, but there were none for Singaporeans. Then my friend suggested that I look into applying for Permanent Residency. Looked it up and realised that I do qualify for it, I just lack 1) French certification and 2) Funds for moving (CAD 10,500 or so).

Naturally, one does not know how long I need to wait to get the PR status. It could be anthing from 3 months to 3 years (according to the Canada Immigration website). Hence...

UK 2006
In my desperation to get away, I discovered that the UK's working holiday visa has extended the age limit of holiday makers to 30. Which I will hit soon enough. This gives me a definite timeline to work towards. Therefore, in the interim, I can go live and work in London which was something that I did want to do as well. Not as much as my ski season but I have enough friends living in London that it's not a bad interim option.

Obviously after spending a year dithering around, I don't have much savings left (I'm amazed if the banks will even loan me any more money). After talking to my friends, the fastest way to get it is to go back to a full time job and save like crazy. SG15,000 or so isn't that difficult to save up. So now, I'm looking for a full time job in the one thing that I didn't want to continue doing - HR. Saying that, I'm sure I can find something within the 5-7k a month job. If that happens, I will be outta here in 8 months. I've already contacted several recruitment firms, and I have lined up an interview or two.

There you have it, Plan B. Will it work? Is it enough to get this lazy procrastinator off her arse? Find out more in the next installment...

No comments: