The travails and thrills of being a singleton in my 30s. And probably a little whine to go with the cheese.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Dating Advice: Dealing with The Bore

One of the perils of dating is going out with The Bore.

Met this guy at an exhibition and agreed to go out for dinner with him on Friday. First of all, I must state that I wasn't the least attracted to him, but I thought it would be nice meet new people and make new friends. Sadly, that was not enough to save the night. He rattled on about the most inane things and I must deserve a Golden Globe cos he wasn't aware of the glazed look in my eyes.

When he asked if I was seeing anyone, I invented a boyfriend on the spot to put him off. Thankfully, I had made other plans with my friends and used that as an excuse to ditch him at the end of dinner.

It's bad enough that I have to resort to such tactics... Or that I would accept a date with a bore. But sadly, you can't tell if someone is going to be a bore till you go out with them. My advice (and I do follow it closely!) is to have an escape plan built into a date. Get your friends to call you after say 3 hours into the date. If all's going well, you don't have to ditch him/her. If not, you can use that call as an excuse to leave.

This saves you from having to endure any more drivel and of course, preserves his dignity at the same time. (I don't think I'm callous enough to tell him he's a bore straight to his face). He/she should get the hint after you've rejected subsequent attempts to go out on dates with you.

No comments: