The travails and thrills of being a singleton in my 30s. And probably a little whine to go with the cheese.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Back to Singleton state

What can I say? After 2 years (or so) of coupledom, I'm back to being a singleton. I'm sure Bridge Jones would have said - Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn!

Not that there's anything wrong in being single. I'm happy to be free, and very glad that I didn't 'settle' for second best. And I sure am thankful I didn't find this out 3 years down the road, or when we had kids. It could always be worse - that's my consolation right now.

But 2 years of giving of yourself and letting someone completely into your life - to share intimate details and the mundane-ness of everyday life; there's an immediate vacuum that you just can't help but feel. The loneliness, the feeling that someone special was there for you, someone you could count on.

Not anymore. And that hurts.

I suppose one shouldn't torture oneself over whether he/she really loved you (duh, it should pretty obvious?!) and I don't regret the time I spent over the past 2 years. It's just difficult to let go. Suitable period to mourn and wallow - that's what I'll allow myself to do.

I'm sad that it's over, but I have to remember that my self-esteem is NOT (and never will be) tied to being in a relationship. In the words of one of the Cocteau Twins:

I have my friends, my family
I have myself, I still have me

No comments: