The travails and thrills of being a singleton in my 30s. And probably a little whine to go with the cheese.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

The (Job) Search Goes On...

I've been pretty lazy in this department. To date, I've been to 2 interviews but have not gotten any further. There was one job that I wanted - with Bloomberg. That would have been really really great. Sadly, they found someone with the type of experience that they wanted. Oh well. Next!

I have an interview on Monday at 7:45am with Singapore Power. Those who know me will know that that is a horrible time for me to be up and have all cylinders firing. Who in their right minds have interviews at 7:45 in the morning?!?! And do I want to work for an organisation that starts work that early?!?! Oh well. Get the job first then see. If nothing, all this interviewing will help me get better at the next interview.

Saying all that, I'm wondering if I should keep on trying to get a mundane job or stick with singing and being self employed. I'm getting discouraged in my job search as I don't feel I'm making any headway, even with the interviews. I hate the fact that I'm not getting paid much and I'm living from hand to mouth. I make enough just to get by and I have to watch what I spend (though I still go crazy eating and splurging on the odd item here and there). With my current lifestyle, it's hard to amass any savings. Unless I can come up with other revenue streams. I've thought of two or three possible ones if I fail to get a proper job:

1. Voice-overs / Voice acting. I'm already in the business of singing - this is like a step sideways and I wouldn't have to give up singing at night. I haven't got a clue where to start though!

2. Do free lance consulting. I've done it before, I just need to go out and get the work. This is not a bad way to get a full time job's income on my own time either. Perhaps I can talk to the friend that I used to work for and see if we come to an arrangement as before.

3. Concentrate on building my distribution business. Already started it, but have been lazy ass about it. (see the recurring theme here). This will take a while but it's a long term thing for me, so I think I'll do it in my own time.

Doing my typical indecisive, ask everyone's opinion and consider all options thing, expending tons of energy pursuing ALL options before settling with the first one that works. That's my style sadly. Maybe I need to change that instead.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Good luck with the job search. Thanks for the post on my blog... i absolutely believe in the mid life crisis when you are in your 20s.

Hope that you are well.

Scott

S* said...

Your agent should be able to get you voice-over kind of work. Also consider doing freelance emceeing, which pays reasonably.

Keep at it and good luck!