The travails and thrills of being a singleton in my 30s. And probably a little whine to go with the cheese.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Crazy Horse Paris, Singapore

Saturday was an action packed day! It started at 7am with 4 hours of shift work, then lunch at my grandma's, followed by 3 hours of French tuition and work. The culmination of the day (and the best part too!) was going to see my friends in the Crazy Horse Paris cabaret. There's no Singapore website yet, but here's the link to Crazy Horse in Paris.

If you didn't already know, Crazy Horse is a topless cabaret show, the first ever in Singapore. (Legally approved that is. Of course there are probably illegals but that's normal everywhere no?) I had helped Pris out with the opening night, but didn't get to see the show. When my friends heard that, they said of course, you must see it and we will get you tickets. And so we went for the last show on Saturday night (cos that's the only one I can make after work!)

Despite what others may think, the cabaret was stylish and done very well. After the first act, you forget that these girls are topless and concentrate on the amazing moves and grace that they dance with. Some of them are seriously stupendous (I do yoga, so I know how difficult some of the moves can be) but they make it look so effortless. Sadly, I can't put post any pictures (duh!) but the show was amazing.

My absolute favourite act was Champagne Taste, where the dancer pretends to be drunk and dances to the absolutely hilarious Eartha Kitt song, Champagne Taste. Other acts that I loved was the Good Girl, where the dancer shakes her toosh and tells everyone she's a good girl and the Adagio was absolutely stunning in terms of the lighting effects, choreography and the slow and ballet-esque mood. There was another one called Fly where the dancers are perched on poles that hang from the ceiling (but not touch the ground) and evokes the imagery of flying nymphs.

There were some hoots and whees from some of the guys but it's sad when the loudest applause and noise came from three single (heterosexual) girls watching the show. Naturally, it was because they were our friends, but I have to say that the audiences in Singapore are quite pathetic. My friends had complained many a times that the audience was very lukewarm and gave restrained applause. I'd also encountered that in my own work. People here are so very tame and somewhat restrained. Sadly I think that is not very encouraging for budding emerging artistes or even for promoters to bring new and interesting shows here.

Rant aside, if you haven't watched it and are in Paris, Singapore or Las Vegas, get your hands on some tickets and enjoy L'Art du Nu (The Art of The Nude)!

1 comment:

Scott said...

Sounds like a fun show...hehe. The first topless show in the city eh? Wow, you should move to Toronto we get topless and bottomless shows... or so i hear...

Scott